Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

I am getting over a cold. Which means I need pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Other reasons to make pumpkin cinnamon rolls include...
  • Getting up early.
  • Getting up late. 
  • Going to the gym.
  • Not going to the gym.
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
  • A good day
  • A bad day
I could go on. But these are some fantastic cinnamon rolls. And really versatile. I've made cherry and strawberry cinnamon rolls just by changing out the filling. These are more of a biscuit type roll than a yeasty roll, which I like. I like the richness of the biscuit with the sweetness of the pumpkin.  A pan of these never lasts more than about a day in my house. Even Not-So-Planty Dad loves them, and his reaction to most vegan food is tepid to say the least.  

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp vegan margarine (I like Best Life, it's cheaper than Earth Balance, and still totally parve*)
  • 3/4 c non-dairy milk (I use So Delicious Coconut Drink, it's pretty flavorless, and the closest I've come to dairy milk for cooking)
  • 2 tbsp softened margarine
  • 1/4 c white sugar
  • a whole lotta cinnamon
  • 1 cup pumpkin pie MIX (don't use plain canned pumpkin, it's not sweet enough to get the flavor your looking for, I've tried mixing the spices on my own, but I never get it quite right)
Icing
  • 1 tsp margarine, melted
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk 

I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted, because I had 3 little children jumping around me doing the "Yay for Cinnamon Rolls!" dance. But I managed to get a few. 

  • Preheat oven to 450.
  • Mix Flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. 
  • Cut in 6 tbsp of margarine. Basically, put in your margarine, then, either with a pastry cutter, or a fork, go to town on that stuff. What you are trying to do is create itty-bitty-teeny-tiny balls of margarine coated in flour. It'll be a little bit courser than flour, but not much. When you bake it, all those whittle-bitty ball of margarine are going to melt, and make the pastry nice and flaky. 
  • Mix in milk until dough is soft. You're going for a soft solid, not a drip through your fingers soft, or a crumbly hard. Just nice and soft. This is where pictures would be nice... :/
  • Take the dough and make a rectangle. 
Yay! A picture! Of a doughy rectangle... 
  • Spread the softened margarine all over this bad boy. Then the sugar. Then as much cinnamon as you can handle. Then, take the pie mix, smell it, breathe in the scent of fall and all things beautiful on the world, and dump all over that doughy rectangle. 
Isn't it beautiful?

  • Now, roll it up. The slice that roll into 12 1 inch slices. 
  • Bake it for 20 minutes. In that time, send your kids to bed. Because believe, me, you don't want to share. 
  • Also during that time, mix up the icing. Just dump everything in a bowl, and mix it up. It'll be kind of thin, but that's the way I like it. If you want it to be thicker, just don't use as much milk. 
  • When the rolls are done, take them out of the oven, and you really SHOULD let them cool before dumping the entire bowlful of icing on top, but I've never been one known for my patience. So I usually pour it on straight out of the oven. 
  • Then, I devour them while they are still warm. And all is right in the world. 
  • Mmmmmmmmm. (Yes, it is part of the recipe, so you have to say it. That's the rule)

And no, I still haven't shared with my children yet.

*Parve is basically Yiddish for neutral. Meaning it doesn't have any dairy in it. So when on the hunt for vegan margarine, if you see Parve anywhere on it, you're good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment